Spring 2015 | Massive Earthquake in Nepal (Live)

Will be covering the updates about the Earthquake from mountains in this post (appologies for typos/grammatical mistakes!).

The Earthquake location. 40km Southeast of Manaslu, 210km west of Everest.

An earthquake, measured as M7.9 on Richter scale, 29km ESE of Lamjung (which translate to 40km SW of Manaslu and 210km west of Everest) wobbled the region as far as Delhi in India. While it's too early to estimate the situation in remote areas of Nepal, the mountaineers at Everest BC were quick to update about the events.

Follow Live Updates on Twitter:

1300hrs Nepal Time

Everest Southside Avalanche:
Romanian climber Alex Gavan tweeted about a huge avalanche coming down Pumori and reaching Everest southside BC. "Running for life from my tent. Unhurt. Many many people up the mountain," the message says it all. Not everything is smooth in the area.

Everest Northside Trembled but Safe:
Adrian Ballinger tweeted about rockfall and avalanches from Everest Northside, however, without any damage. "Lots of rock and ice falling. We all ok. Hoping more exposed South Side also ok."

The earthquake is as always followed by aftershocks. "Strong aftershocks continuing here on North Side of #Everest," says Adrian.

1330hrs Nepal Time

Climbers Missing on Everest Southside:



1345hrs Nepal Time

Apparently all climbers on Everest Northside are safe.
Avalanches and rockfalls, but Marco and team are also safe at Dhaulagiri BC.

1400hrs Nepal Time

"Annalisa, Sebastiano, Mario and Marco are fine... But the base camp is devastated," updated the Italian team from Everest BC.

1415hrs Nepal Time
Eric Arnold describers the earthquake scene at Everest BC in his blog post. "Lying in my tent seems like someone is shaking my tent, a joke Ritchie I think. Not much later, the shaking of the tent over in the shaking of the ground. Harder and harder. I realize earthquake !! When I opened my tent zipper I see three sides gigantic avalanches come down. Behind me from the Lingtren from the icefall and Pumori. The avalanche from the Icefall-Nuptse is gigantic. Not much later I realize that the cloud base camp is going to hit. Arnold beckons me, come to the mess tent. I run the 20 feet to the tent, mid avalanche cloud touches me. I am totally lost direction and walk against Moulay his tent. Then I storm into the tent. My ears are filled to the brim with snow. In five seconds, I look like the abominable snowman. It is now an hour after the avalanche. Details about the victims, I do not know. Our plan to walk to Pumori BC was not happy today. From which side was a huge avalanche."

Everest C1 is Safe:
Adventure Consultants team is currently in C1. They say, we're safe up there. "Following reports of a severe earthquake east of Pokhara we can report the AC Everest climbing team is safe at Camp One."

1700hrs Nepal Time
Hundreds of fatalities, serious damage to buildings, airport and other infrastructure is being reported from Nepalese capital.

Meanwhile, Iranian climber Azim Gheichisaz reported about 3 casualties from Everest Base Camp. Several others are injured and receiving medication. Other reports (Adrian, Nepalese official) suggest as many as 8 deaths.

Other camps, C1 and C2, are apparently safe. Climbers at Base Camps of other 8000m peaks are also unhurt.

Day-2: April 26th
Click for more details about avalanche here.
Updates on rescue operation here.
Powered by Blogger.